Monday, November 10, 2014

Are you a friend or are you a mom?

Every so often I come across a really great article.  This one was due to the fact one of my Facebook friends had read it and thought it was good.  So I looked it up and read it for myself.  She was right.

Kelly Ripa was talking about discipline and her 13 year old daughter.  She mentioned in an interview that her daughter didn't like her right about now because she had taken away the computer and phone privileges.  Her daughter broke the rules and she was punished.  She also mentioned that she is not her daughter's friend she's her Mom.

Bravo, Ms. Ripa.  I know that there are people out there that are gasping right now and feeling faint.  I believe this way too.  My four year old, light of my life, told me that she hated me and she didn't love me anymore.  She had a major temper tantrum and wasn't listening to me and wanted things her way.  I'm sorry that's not going to happen.  She got mad and told me mean things.  I don't know if it's the way I was raised or because I'm an older Mom but I believe that you can't be friends with your child.

As much as teens say they want freedom, independence and to be grown up, they secretly desire structure and rules.  It's scary being on your own.  Sometimes those rules you have in the house, even the ones that they break, is a security blanket.  I could give Froggie everything she wants at 4 and then she can be a total nightmare at 14.  I won't do it.  I'm sorry.  She needs to know that there are consequences to her actions.

I am not a super strict Mom.  Yes I do give in to somethings.  I do believe in picking your battles.  But  I also am not the carefree, I don't give a damn what my child does parent either.  I am hoping to raise a well adjusted child all the way into being a well adjusted, successful adult.  If that means being the bad guy sometimes then so be it.

I'm not my child's friend.  I'm her Mom.  I'm her caretaker.  I'm her teacher.  I'm her nurse.  Most of all I'm the one that is responsible for the way she behaves for the rest of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment