Wednesday, November 26, 2014

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...Or Maybe Not

My gripe today is about Christmas.  Please don't shoot me.  I love Christmas since my daughter was born it's great.  However, it seems that Christmas is getting earlier an earlier each year.  No, I don't mean that anyone has changed the date.  I mean in terms of stores and advertising.  I swear I saw Christmas decorations out in September.

I know the older Moms out there can relate.  Once upon a time you didn't see Christmas items until after Thanksgiving.  There was Halloween, then after that we all concentrated on Thanksgiving.  Finally we celebrated Christmas.  I remember my Mom thinking it was crazy that her friend was putting up her Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.  It was just too early in her eyes.  Now I bet there are some out there that put up a tree right after Halloween.

One of my favorite radio stations started playing all Christmas music the second week of November.  I'm thinking, "You're kidding me right."  I like Christmas music but there is only so much of it that I can take.  I know I will be burned out on it way before Christmas gets here.

This is not to mention that we have practically excluded Thanksgiving from the holiday celebrations.  We're so focused on Christmas that stores are opening Thanksgiving Day to sell you stuff for Christmas.  I must admit I will be shopping Thanksgiving because, as much as I don't want to, I can't pass up the great deal on the Elsa doll that Froggie is asking Santa for Christmas.  I don't really want to go but at the same time the thought of getting something she wants at a great deal is hard to pass up.

I have been asked if I'm decorating for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving.  I might put up the lights because last year my husband waited and waited and we had them up for maybe a week.  Putting up the lights always reminds me of the good times I had as a child.  We will probably wait until the first weekend in December to put up the tree.  Froggie likes to help with the decorations.

So tomorrow when you're gathered around the table with family and maybe even friends, think about Thanksgiving. Put Christmas out of your mind for just a moment.  Think about what you are truly thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment